50 Ways to Get Your Deepest Clean Yet:
Having a fall cleaning checklist seems a little bit like getting tricked into some kind of second spring cleaning. Didn’t you just wash the curtains and wipe down those ceiling fan blades?
But hear me out: Giving your home some extra attention before cozying up inside it for fall and winter means you’ll enjoy that special time at home more than ever. Whether it’s movie night on the couch snuggled in warm blankets or turning on the fireplace and cranking up the music as you sip cold-weather drinks, home is such a big part of the season, and working your way through a fall cleaning checklist is the most straightforward way to get your home ready for it.
So before you transition to spending more time indoors — especially if you’re hosting guests during the holidays — get your home ready for increased habitation with this ultimate fall cleaning checklist.
Kitchen and Bathroom
- Clean your kitchen grout.
- Clean your bathroom grout.
- Clean your refrigerator coils, if applicable.
- Clean under your refrigerator.
- Clean the inside of your dishwasher.
- Clean and condition the wood of your bathroom and kitchen cabinets.
- Clean your oven.
- Wash and disinfect all the garbage cans.
- Seal and/or polish granite countertops.
- Wipe down kitchen mats.
- Wash bath mats.
- Wash the shower curtain.
- Deep clean microwave.
Bedroom (and Closet)
- Refresh bedding that isn’t regularly washed (comforters, pillows, etc.).
- Vacuum and flip mattresses.
- Put cold-weather linens on the beds.
- Switch out seasonal clothes.
- Dust your bed frame. Vacuum or lint roll if it’s upholstered.
- Clear off and clean your nightstands.
- Vacuum under the bed.
- Lint roll lampshades and dust light bulbs and lamp bases.
- Polish wooden furniture.
- Dust blinds.
- Wash curtains.
All Around the House
- Wash your walls.
- Wash your windows, window sills, and all the window groves.
- Clean your washer and dryer.
- Clean your doorknobs, doors, and light switch plates.
- Vacuum under all beds, couches, and other furniture.
- Dust the tops of doors and door frames.
- Spot-clean carpets and rugs.
- Clean floors underneath area rugs.
- Wash curtains or have them cleaned.
- Remove and rinse your window screens.
- Wash your washable vacuum cleaner filters.
- Clean your baseboards.
Tackle Some Seasonal Maintenance
- Change your HVAC air filter.
- Replace your fire alarm batteries.
- Condition your leather furniture.
- Dust your ceiling fans and set them to turn so air circulates upward.
- Sweep the chimney and/or have it checked.
- Clean out rain gutters.
- Check weather stripping and replace as necessary.