The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and other federal agencies offer a variety of programs that may be able to help you purchase a home if you qualify for assistance:
The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) manages the FHA loans program. This may be a good mortgage choice if you’re a first-time buyer because the requirements are not as strict as for other loans. The down payment and closing costs are low.
Am I eligible for an FHA loan?
- You must qualify for a loan with an FHA-approved lender. In general, your credit score doesn’t need to be high.
- The price of the home you want to insure must be within the loan limit for an FHA home in its location.
How do I apply for an FHA loan?
The FHA doesn’t lend money to people. It ensures mortgage loans from FHA-approved lenders against default. To apply for an FHA-insured loan, you will need to use an FHA-approved lender. Search for an FHA-approved lender here.
How do I complain about an FHA loan?
If you have a complaint about an FHA loan program, contact the FHA Resource Center.
When homeowners default on their FHA loan, HUD takes ownership of the property, because HUD oversees the FHA loan program. These properties are called either HUD homes or HUD real estate-owned (REO) properties.
Am I eligible to buy a HUD home?
Your qualifications to buy a HUD home depend on your credit score, ability to get a mortgage, and the amount of your cash down payment. You can also use an FHA-insured mortgage to buy a HUD home.
How do I apply for a HUD home?
Use the HUDHomestore to find listings of HUD real estate-owned (REO) properties for sale. Click on the agent tab to find contact information to learn more about the property.
Where do I call for extra help about a HUD home?
If you have a question or need more information about FHA loans or HUD homes, you can:
Homeowner Voucher Program
Housing Choice Voucher Eligibility
- Be a first-time buyer as defined by HUD
- Meet a minimum income requirement set by the local public housing authority (PHA)
- Have at least one adult working full-time and for at least one year
- Complete homeownership and housing counseling program
How to Apply for a Housing Choice Voucher
- Contact your local PHA. If it does not offer a homeownership program, you can contact HUD’s PIH Customer Service Center.
How to File a Housing-Related Complaint
- If a lender is discriminating against you, submit a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- You can also file a housing discrimination complaint with HUD.
- Learn more about housing-related discrimination and how to complain about it.
More Information About Housing Choice Vouchers
- If you have sold your home, you will not be able to use the program for your next purchase. Housing Choice Vouchers are for first-time buyers.
- You are not required to work with a specific real estate agent or any specific lender when getting a home loan.
Source: usa.gov ~ Image: Canva Pro