Last updated on May 21, 2020
Mortgage Rates Hover Near All-Time Lows
The 30-year fixed-rate mortgage inched up slightly this week to average 3.26%, but remains near its record low.
“Mortgage rates stayed at or near record lows for the fifth straight week and homeowners are taking advantage with refinance activity remaining high,” says Sam Khater, Freddie Mac’s chief economist.
Freddie Mac reports the following national averages with mortgage rates for the week ending May 7
Ralene Nelson, REALTOR®
JUST SOLD – 16073 Totem Drive Rio Vista
Live in a resort, Vieira’s, one of the prime locations on the Delta, located on the Sacramento River. This clean 2 bedroom, 2 bath has new laminate flooring & paint, new gas stove, dishwasher and garbage disposal and new light fixtures. Don’t miss this great opportunity to live in a resort setting. Washer/Dryer hookups. Roof is 5 yrs new. Room for a smaller boat & car parking, and has shed for your fishing gear. Walk to the river & resort has boat launch. Just bring your furniture. READ MORE
FOR SALE – 14310 State Hwy 160 Road Ryde, CA 4bd/2.5bth 3,494sf, 6.2ac
Located on the Sacramento River, this premier Equestrian retreat has it all, updated Victorian 3 story home built in 1900. Private boat dock, 2 swimming pools, spa, equestrian riding arena with barn, 4 stalls, grazing area, & fruit trees (pears, walnut, plums & apple) Top floor has 3 bedrooms and bath, 2nd floor is living room, dining room, den, kitchen & nook. Lower floor has entertainment area, bedroom & laundry. Dual controlled HVAC. Crown molding, Douglas Fir hardwood on 2nd floor & footed tub. Kitchen has oak cabinets, granite counters, gas stove top. Some new dual pane windows. Home is landscaped & completely fenced with paved driveway. READ MORE
Things to do from home this week!
Take a virtual trip at home
With travel basically at a standstill, it’s time to embrace a new way to see the world — virtual travel and virtual tours. Thanks to the World Wide Web we can go pretty much as far as desired — all without a passport. Below we’ve rounded up the very best ways to experience the world outside our homes from the comfort of our couches, all broken down by different activity types to make it easier to get going.
Go sightseeing around the world with these virtual destinations
- This Site is a One-Stop Destination for World Tours, Classes, and Travel Experiences You Can Have from Home
- Discover the Mystery of Easter Island and the Beauty of Chile With This Interactive App
- Chicago Is One of the Coolest Cities in the Country — and You Can Take a Virtual Trip There Right Now
- How to Take a Virtual Trip to Montreal
- These Virtual Tours of Europe’s Famous Castles Will Make You Feel Like a Royal, Even in Your Pajamas
Explore museums, art, theater, and culture at home
- Stuck at Home? These 12 Famous Museums Offer Virtual Tours You Can Take on Your Couch
- Discover Some of Banksy’s Best Street Art Without Stepping Outside
- The Sydney Opera House Is Bringing Music, Education, and More to Your Living Room
- The Grammy Museum Is Now Offering Online Music and Video Production Classes
- This App Will Turn Your Phone Into an Interactive Museum You Can Play With for Hours
- The Neon Museum’s Virtual Tour Will Light Up Your Living Room Like It’s the Las Vegas Strip
- A Botanical Garden in Seattle Is Livestreaming Plants to Help You Relax
Get “outside” while stuck at home
- Need to Get Outside? These 5 National Parks Offer Virtual Tours You Can Take From the Comfort of Home
- This Virtual Tour of the Carlsbad Caverns Will Entertain You (and Your Kids) for Hours
- This Virtual Tour of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park Will Make You Feel Like You’re on an Epic Island Hike
- Visit Glacier National Park Without Getting Off Your Couch
- Tour These 7 Beautiful Southern Gardens Virtually — Pollen Not Included
- Take a Virtual Tour of the Great Barrier Reef With David Attenborough As Your Guide
- You Can Now See Spring’s Prettiest Cherry Trees in Full Bloom From the Comfort of Your Own Home
Things to do at home with kids
- Your Family Can Make Piñatas at Home With Help From This Luxury Hotel in Mexico
- Dolly Parton Will Read Children’s Books Online Every Thursday Night — and Our Hearts Are so Happy
- Neighborhoods Across the U.S. Are Organizing ‘Stuffed Animal Safaris’ to Entertain Local Kids
- This Children’s Museum Is Helping Kids Travel the World From the Comfort of Their Living Rooms With At-home Programming
- Over 100 Museums, Libraries, and Galleries Are Offering Free, Printable Coloring Sheets
- Take a Virtual Field Trip With These Videos and Livestreams From the Kennedy Space Center
A Light at the End of the Tunnel
More Than a Quarter of Properties Are Equity-Rich
Many homeowners have a lot of money in their homes. During the first quarter of this year, 26.5% of residential properties or 14.5 million were considered equity rich, meaning the owner had at least 50% equity in their home, ATTOM Data Solutions reports Thursday.
“Homeowners’ balance sheets generally remained strong in the first quarter of 2020 across the U.S.,” says Todd Teta, chief product officer with ATTOM Data Solutions. “In the latest marker of the ongoing housing market boom, mortgage payers were four times as likely to have homes worth considerably more than what they owed on their loans than considerably less.